fostering co-operation between all sections of the Village
Ditchling images

Wings Place

West Street

Wings PlaceAlong with St Margaret's Church this timber framed Elizabethan house is a Grade 1 Listed Building described in Nairn & Pevsner's Sussex as "Eminently picturesque in a watercolourist's way. Timber-framed with details of late 16th century struts in the panels forming concave-sided lozenges and also decorated bargeboards.To the left a projecting wing with a brick front; four-centred arch to the brick doorway.

The house was given as a dowry to Henry Poole on his marriage to Margaret Neville, daughter of the Lord of the Manor. Henry Poole died on 28th March 1580 and his monument is in the Abergavenny Chapel in the church.

In 1688 the dissenting Browne family came to Wings Place. Peter Browne was a grocer and draper and it was his grandson James Browne who supported the school beside the Old Meeting House. James Browne started the public library which was approached via the flight of brick steps to the east of the house. He died in 1834 when Mary Browne is shown as occupier on the tithe Map.

The Census of 1841 shows several families including the Brownes, the Bookers and Berrys living at Wings Place which suggests that the house was by now divided into tenements. Between 1869 and 1894 Mrs Edward Turner is recorded as librarian. In 1894 Wings Place was put up for auction at the King's Head, Horsham and at this time was still divided into tenements. It continued as tenements and was sold again in 1935 when according to the Auction Catalogue it was occupied as follows:

"The largest portion is that occupied by Miss Grainger whose family have resided in the house for over 60 years. Miss Grainger pays a rent of 5s per week inclusive.
The east portion is let to Mrs Hemsley who has been in occupation for 28 years at 5s 3d per week inclusive.
The north-west portion is let to Mrs Weller, a tenant of 20 years standing at a weekly rent of 8s inclusive
The south-west portion is let to Miss Chapman who has been in occupation since April 1933 at a rent of 6s 9d per week inclusive
".

To print this page, click here.